Restoring SMS Registry from the SCCM Site Backup

Well I had an interesting morning. For the past couple of weeks I have had to repair several site servers where key ccm and sms registry key had been deleted. At 1st it appeared that a client repair had gone bad and killed the keys. But this morning it was track down to someone running a client repair script incorrectly. They were targeting a remote client but the script was removing local registry keys. However today it happened on a primary server and we were looking at a site recovery to fix it. What follows may not be supported but it worked for me; if you are looking at site recovery worst case is this does not work and you will need to do the recovery anyway.

On this system the script attempted to deleted the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SMS key and all sub keys. Most were still present because the SCCM services and components had them open and the delete failed. But a lot were missing! So we when looking for possible backups. I attempted to load the backup copy of the Software hive from windows\system32\config\regback but that was unsuccessful. Next I turned to the System Backups but the recovery plan for this server was to rebuild and then restore the application drives so the OS drive was not backed up. Well the site recovery was looking more and more like the solution. As I checked that backup from the site maintenance process the file \SiteServer\SMSbkSiteRegSMS.dat file reminded me that the back up includes the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SMS key. So I took a peek at the DAT file in notepad and sure enough it had the registry info. After loading the DAT file as a custom hive in regedit I exported the custom hive and the sms key. (Always remember to back up the registry you are about to change. Got to remember to explain this to the script author 🙂 ) In the reg file for the custom hive I updated the path so that all of the key were for HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SMS. After ensuring that all of the SMS services where stopped, the custom hive reg file was imported into the registry. Some checking to ensure thing like server names and site codes where correct and the sms services were restarted. After celebrating the lack of red in the server logs, the site was declared functional and I snuck off for a nap.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *